Fresh 3.8L Full Engine Rebuild
Bilstein PSS10 Suspension
RS Single Mass Flywheel & Clutch
Over $55k Recently Invested
3,000 Miles on 3.8L Engine Rebuild
Black (L741) on Black Leather (VN)
6-Speed Manual Transmission
Clean and Clear California Title
Southern California Car from New
The 993 variation of the Porsche 911 has always been regarded as the best of the “air-cooled” era. These cars have the perfect blend of classic Porsche performance with modest creature comforts. Plus, the 993 produced even more power with the introduction of the VarioRam engine. In the U.S., we were deprived of the much coveted RS version until recently with the 25-year rule. However, most examples are in the $300k-$400k+ price range. Often, U.S. owners would give their car an RS-look, but rarely would go the distance with upgrading the mechanicals such as this one.
This Porsche was built in November of 1996 and sold new on February 2nd, 1997 by the Newport Beach, California Porsche dealer. It was ordered with the following factory options:
- Stainless steel door entry guards with model logo
- Aluminum shift knob
- Aluminum parking brake handle
- 17” wheels (upgraded to 18” wheels)
- 8-way electric seats (left and right)
- Wheel caps with colored crests
- Automatic speed control
- Sound system
- Lumbar support (left)
- Becker-Porsche CDR radio 210
This 993 spent the majority of its life in Southern California. For the first 10-years, the car was serviced at Walter’s Porsche in Riverside, California. The current owner is a local Los Angeles area Porsche enthusiast who purchased the car in May of 2014 with 72k-miles. He thought it would be a fun car to enjoy weekend driving through the canyons. His ultimate goal was to make it an RS inspired tribute. Over the last 5-years/20k-miles he slowly developed the car into his vision. Highlights of the upgrades and services performed includes:
- Engine rebuilt to 3.8L RS spec by Gary Meier of Torque Power Engines ($24k):
- Coated main bearings
- Complete multi-angle valve job with new valve guides and springs
- Split case/tear down motor – inspect and clean everything
- Custom JE piston set with 9.5:1 compression with piston ring set
- Align hone case to true mains
- 79mm crank/offset grind
- Web cams
- Blueprint of entire engine and documentation of all assemblies
- Pauter connecting rods custom 2.0 rod journal size
- Rebuild oil pump and blueprint to race specs
- Intermediate shaft bearings
- Crossdrill and tap/plug crankshaft/turn rod journals down to 2.0 inch
- Powdercoat engine tins/covers and intake system
- R&R complete oil system including oil cooler, lines, and tank
- Spark plug wires and NGK spark plugs
- Aase Bros. retainers
- Bilstein PSS10 suspension system
- New suspension bushings (motor mounts, shock mounts, sway bar, etc.)
- Sway bar drop links
- Aluminum gauge bezels, ignition plate, and gas release knob
- RS/RSR front strut brace
- RS spoiler/deck lid with emblem, grill cover, and mesh screen
- RS front splitters/spoilers
- RS rocker panels/side skirts
- RS shift knob
- Aluminum pedal set with footrest and aluminum door release handle
- Brake pads, rotors, sensors, and flush – all 4 (@84k-miles)
- A/C system service
- Belt service
- Timing chain cover gaskets and crankshaft seals
- RS clutch and single mass flywheel (@91k-miles)
- Clutch master and slave cylinders
- Ring gear
- Power steering pump hoses and service
- Porsche Classic Nav/CD radio
- Intake manifold stacks and seals
- Golden Rod RS style shift rod
- Walrod front control arm bushing kit
- Fister stage II sport mufflers
- 993 wide oval exhaust tips finished in satin black
- Custom finished tachometer by North Hollywood Speedo
The engine rebuild was completed in February of 2019. After break-in driving, the oil was changed and inspected for proper wear. In total, this owner invested in excess of $55,000 upgrading and servicing this Porsche 911 over the past 5-years.
The exterior of this 993 looks very nice considering the age, miles, and originality. The paint is mostly original and checked with a paint meter (see pics). The front nose (bumper, hood, and fenders) were repainted years ago due to rock chips. The doors, roof, rear quarters, and decklid appear to be original. There are some light rock chips on the front end from use with some light superficial cracks on the front bumper (see pic). In 2005, Carfax® reports an accident on the rear of the car. The previous owner had said that he was lightly tapped in the back. Obviously, it was minor as the all the metal panels on the rear of the car are still original paint. The glass is all original including the windshield with no major chips or cracks. There is just some light rash from typical road use. The 18” turbo twist wheels have been powdercoated and have no curb rash. They are wearing Michelin Pilot Sport tires that are less than 2-years old. The fronts have just shy of 75% life remaining and the rears are just under half-life. The brakes are at about 75% remaining all the way around.
The interior looks clean and equally as nice as the exterior. The leather seats have no cracks or tears and just some typical light wear. The headliner has no tears and the door panels look near new. The carpet has no stains, tears, or heavy wear marks. The dash has no major cracks and just some slight heat blisters on the top of the instrument pod (see pic). All the gauges work properly. The power windows, mirrors, and sunroof also work. The A/C blows very cold. The upgraded Porsche classic radio is an expensive and welcome upgrade.
This 993 RS tribute drives very tight and responsive. It starts easily on the first try with minimal to zero smoke. It has smooth and even acceleration. The exhaust has a great purposeful sound without droning. The transmission shifts smoothly with no grinding or slipping. The brakes have a nice immediate bite with no fading or pulling. This RS tribute would be a joy on backroad drives while also being comfortable on long distance tours.
California registration is current through February of 2020 and it recently passed the CA strict emissions test.
This 993 C2 includes books with cover (missing owner’s manual), original maintenance booklet, original key card, extra key with fob remote (2 total), space saver spare, jack, tool kit, air compressor, and recent service records.
**Note: VIN and other numbers withheld to protect against fraud. All numbers including VIN, Engine, and color will be provided to serious buyers.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Paul at 714-335-4911 or email@example.com
This vehicle is sold “as-is” with no warranty, written or implied. In some cases, the vehicle does have the remaining factory warranty still in place and will be described above if that is the case. All taxes and fees are the responsibility of the buyer and are not included in the listed price. All vehicle sales will require a $170 administration fee. The vehicle listed is described to the best of our ability. The information is based on our own research and statements made to us by the previous owner(s). To the best of our knowledge, the above information is accurate. We are not responsible for errors in our description of options or any other details. The above-mentioned vehicle is used and can be expected to show some wear and tear. It is not a brand new vehicle. We do welcome all local pre-purchase inspections on vehicles in order to verify condition.
We appreciate the countless calls from brokers and dealers. As much as we would love to quickly “wholesale” this car to industry partners so they can make a quick profit, the car is on consignment (as are all of our offerings) and the owners have the final say.
If you have actually taken the time to read this far in our detailed description, I can’t imagine there are any questions you may have. However, if there is something I missed or you would prefer to hear the warm sound of a human voice (mine) reiterating the research I’ve provided above, I would be happy to help.
If you put our company name in Google (AutoKennel®) you will see that we have been a long-time part of the Porsche community and have worked extremely hard to earn the positive reputation you will find. Feel free to reach out to our local PCA chapter (www.pcaocr.org) and the board members are familiar with us. Most in the club have known us for most of our 25-year membership involvement. Of course, if you would like more references, you will find countless testimonials on our website as well.
For financing click here: